[Users] OT: BUG with update marking all email as "read"

Steven Rostedt rostedt at goodmis.org
Sat May 9 05:08:25 CEST 2015

On Tue, 2 Dec 2014 17:59:59 +0100
Ralf Mardorf <info.mardorf at rocketmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Dec 2014 10:23:27 -0500
> Steven Rostedt <rostedt at goodmis.org> wrote:
> > Off-topic: I take it that the policy on this mailing list is to strip
> > Cc's and only reply to the list? I wonder why that is preferred.
>
> Because it's annoying to receive duplicated emails.
>
> > Do people really read all emails on the list to see if any of the
> > emails applies to them?
>
> No, not everybody is reading all mails, but we hope that the thread is
> kept, when people reply or that at least the subject line is kept, so
> there's no need to read all threads, to realise replies to threads we
> want to read.

Heh, I keep hitting the bug I reported, and came back to my claws email
folder to read if anything new was found. This is the first I seen this
email (because I wasn't Cc'd ;-)

> Claws has two features to inform us, by just taking a look at the
> folders, a little red dot and an exclamation mark in in parentheses.

Oh, I never knew what those were for.

> I don't sort by thread, I sort by date and Claws anyway informs me
> about threads I follow.

Still rather strange.

> > I'm subscribed to 15 lists and can barely get through the emails that
> > are sent to me directly that I need to look at, that I have no time
> > to read the lists I'm subscribed to. I read them maybe once a month.
> > The only reason that I saw this email was because I remembered that I
> > sent a message to the list ;-)
>
> Improve your workflow ;)! I guess there's a reason that we use MUAs ;).

My workflow works great :-)

Procmail parses the mail headers and I have this;

:0 H

Anything sent by the List, even if I'm Cc'd, will go into the claws
mail folder. But if I'm Cc'd, the "duplicate" ends up in my INBOX where
I read it.

I finally got my INBOX down below a 1000 emails. I keep the ones I
still need to do something with. But this bug is still quite annoying.
Part of my workflow is now to periodically save my inbox so when claws
decides to mark everything read, I can do a diff and get back the read
messages again. I have a script to help me because I only want to
change the status back to unread.

I gotta start debugging this, because it's annoying enough to start my
search for a new email client.

-- Steve