[Users] How do I?

Ralf Mardorf info.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Sun Jun 28 03:08:46 CEST 2015

On Sun, 28 Jun 2015 02:36:58 +0200, Michael wrote:
>For emergencies (like sending off the wrong mail) i configured a
>desktop button to cut off the internet (like for example 'sudo
>ifconfig eth0 down' or using systmctl - there are many ways).

While I prefer the human understandable old school "eth0", I switched
to the new style for my systemd install. I need to take a look at a
script to remember the new name ...

--off) echo ; poff -a ; ip link set enp3s0 down ; echo -n "Progress: "
       while pidof pppd > /dev/null ; do echo -n "." ; sleep 3 ; done ;
       echo ; modprobe -vr pppoe ; echo ; exit ;;

It's possible to change this by an udev rule. While I hate the new
names, I anyway use them to avoid trouble. Likely some distros are
still hybride, pseudo-systemd, however distros that finished a
consequent transition to systemd, likely don't use the old names
anymore by default.

Btw. using POP accounts I simply can push a "cancel" button provided by
Claws to abort fetching mails.

I never tried "/Message/Receive/Cancel receiving" or disconnecting the
Internet connection. A mouse click on the "cancel" button always does
the job.