[Users] reply-to-list annoyance

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Jan 30 16:50:14 CET 2015

On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 19:23:48 -0800
Ian Zimmerman <itz at buug.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jan 2015 02:54:16 +0100,
> Michael <codejodler at gmx.ch> wrote:
>
> Michael> It would help me to accept the fact if you could come up
> Michael> with a showcase...
>
> Job opportunities.  They don't pop up much in this list, if at all,
> maybe there's a policy aginst them.  But there are lists that
> encourage them.

So, if you want the list to know about the job, you send it to the
list. If you want an individual *on the list* to know about it, you
send it only to that individual so 30 others don't beat him to the
punch. If you reply to a job posting, you can send privately to the guy
who posted, or if you have a question or comment for all, you can send
it to the list. There's no reason to send both to the list and to
somebody who is on the list, and that's the topic of the thread.

> Michael> But anyway, reply to list and to the related list poster,
> Michael> altogether, wouldn't make much sense in any case ?
>
> Even that is not clear-cut.  He or she may have posted from an address
> which is not subscribed.

In which case, there are one of two possibilities: 1) He or she is
subscribed at another email address, or 2) he or she is not subscribed
at all.

Case 1: I don't know why this case would happen, but if it does, and
you reply to it sending only to the list, the original poster will see
your response the first time he or she uses the email from which he or
she is subscribed.

Case 2: This person deserves no reply. They're saying "my time is too
important to take five minutes to subscribe, but I want everyone to
give me personal advice." I *never* reply to their personal address,
although if they've asked an interesting question, I'll reply to the
list and foster a discussion.

Anyway, I can think of no situation where it's necessary or even
beneficial to reply to both a list and a person subscribed to that list.

SteveT