[Users] reply-to-list annoyance (was Re: Mailing list replies - Was: Error while sending....)

Chad Wallace cwallace at lodgingcompany.com
Wed Jan 28 21:46:27 CET 2015

On Wed, 28 Jan 2015 11:20:47 -0500
Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

> But if I hit C-l on a direct copy message that doesn't have the
> List-Post header, CM will still create a reply, but the To will
> obviously go to the original author and not the mailing list.  It's
> not always easy to catch this in time, so sometimes a response
> intended for the mailing list will instead just go to the original
> author.
>
> If I catch that in time, I'll throw the draft away and create a new
> reply with A-R (i.e. shift-alt-R or reply-to-all).  The list will be
> CC'd and while it sucks a little for the original author (because
> *she* will get two copies of my response), it might be the best you
> can do unless you manually futz with the headers.
>
> So anyway, what I think I'd like CM to do is refuse to reply-to-list
> if there's no List-Post header.  That way I'll at least find out
> early that I need to either reply-to-all or find the list copy to
> reply-to-list to.

I agree.  And I'm guessing (ignorant of the code) this should be very
easy to implement... just find the reply-to-list code, and remove the
part that falls back to a regular reply, and put up an error instead.

To go further, though, it could grab all the addresses in the To, From
and CC (like reply-to-all) and either a) ask the user which one is the
mailing list address or 2) select the one that has the word "list" in
it. :-)

--

C. Chad Wallace, B.Sc.
The Lodging Company