[Users] reply-to-list annoyance (was Re: Mailing list replies - Was: Error while sending....)

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Jan 28 17:20:47 CET 2015

On Jan 27, 2015, at 11:45 PM, Slavko wrote:

>If you like Evolution's buttons, use Evolution, please, and don't ask,
>to CM becomes Evolution.

There's one thing that does annoy me about CM's behavior here.

I have C-l bound to Message->Reply To->Mailing List.

Now, when the message actually comes from the list, and has a List-Post and
all that goodness, everything works great.

But if I hit C-l on a direct copy message that doesn't have the List-Post
header, CM will still create a reply, but the To will obviously go to the
original author and not the mailing list.  It's not always easy to catch this
in time, so sometimes a response intended for the mailing list will instead
just go to the original author.

If I catch that in time, I'll throw the draft away and create a new reply with
A-R (i.e. shift-alt-R or reply-to-all).  The list will be CC'd and while it
sucks a little for the original author (because *she* will get two copies of
my response), it might be the best you can do unless you manually futz with
the headers.

So anyway, what I think I'd like CM to do is refuse to reply-to-list if
there's no List-Post header.  That way I'll at least find out early that I
need to either reply-to-all or find the list copy to reply-to-list to.

Cheers,
-Barry