[Users] Mailing list replies - Was: Error while sending....

Michael Gmelin freebsd at grem.de
Wed Jan 28 00:00:47 CET 2015

On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 14:47:07 -0800
Chad Wallace <cwallace at lodgingcompany.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 12:08:51 +0000
> Paul <claws at thewildbeast.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 06:51:15 -0500
> > Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Then you have never had the pleasure of using kmail, which has a
> > > per folder setting labeled "folder contains a mailing list". 99%
> > > of the time it Just Works(TM).
> >
> > you're right, I've never had that pleasure. I can't see how that
> > would work, say, if I chucked a load of random messages into that
> > folder.
> >
> > Anyway, in Claws you can set a per folder setting for Default To and
> > Defualt To for replies, which kind of sounds remotely similar.
>
> The "folder contains a mailing list" feature could just automatically
> set Default To to the List-Post value of the messages in the folder.
>
> To cover your case where you've put random messages in the folder, it
> could just collect all the List-Post values, and select the one value
> that the most messages have in common.  Or just pick the first one it
> finds.... or pop up a list and have the user pick.

If one really wanted to have mailing list detection that's not based
on correct headers this could be made an address book option. Have a
check-box called "this is a mailing list" and add an option to always
reply in list mode if this address shows up in To or Cc (complain if
there are multiple mailing list addresses, cross posting sucks anyway).

For bonus points, write a plugin that makes it easy to set the option
(semi-)automatically if it was found in a List-Post header.

I wouldn't spend any time coding this myself though.

--
Michael Gmelin