[Users] Mailing list replies - Was: Error while sending....

Stephan Braun sylpheed-claws-users at lists.evervoid.net
Tue Jan 27 11:35:56 CET 2015

Mahlzeit!

On 27.01.2015 at 10:34:51 Ralf Mardorf <info.mardorf at rocketmail.com>
wrote:
>I welcome this feature. Not mailman is broken, Claws just has got an
>issue because it's unable to handle it, so I guess I should address my
>complain to Claws and not to mailman. Other MUAs are able to handle it
>with horse-sense. It's not a question about what way is the correct
>way or better way. It's very simple, Claws user mailing list does use
>mailman, but can't handle mailman mailing list replies as soon as
>somebody (me) enables not to receive duplicated mails, if somebody send
>TO me and CC's to the list.

For the sake of common understanding I try to explain some
misconceptions you seem to have:

1. Mailman handles the mail of the "To:" address even if it is not the
   list address

  This is wrong. Mailman can ONLY handle the mail that was sent to the
  list address, no matter if sent via To: or Cc:
  The feature you activated in Mailman is to detect, if the message was
  also sent to you directly (via To: or Cc:). In that case it
  SUPPRESSES the delivery via list, so that you only get one copy of
  the message.
  IMPORTANT: the copy you received NEVER went through Mailman and
  therefore has no list headers. It was sent DIRECTLY to YOU from the
  SENDER. It is defacto no mailinglist message.

2. Other MUAs recognize that this is a list message and handle it
   accordingly.

  This is wrong. Other MUAs also have no means to recognize that this
  message should be sent to a mailing list, because it lacks all the
  relevant info.
  The difference to Claws is that they seem to use another logic to
  GENERALLY handle list replies. Claws overloads (puts more than one
  functionality) on the simple "reply" button: if claws detects a list
  message, a list reply is invoked. If it doesn't, a simple "reply to
  sender" is invoked.
  Other MUAs, as you explained, seem to overload the "reply to all"
  button. If a list message is detected, a list reply is invoked. If
  not, the default action (which is "reply to all") is invoked.
  With your mail in question, the latter situation is true and you
  only think the MUA somehow handles the situation correctly.

The only thing left is that you could question the design decision of
the claws developers because you don't like the default action of the
button you also use for list messages when the message you have IS NO
list message but you WISH it would be.
Good luck with that! ;-)

regards,
swb