[Users] To queue, or not to queue was: Re: Error while sending....

Ian Zimmerman itz at buug.org
Mon Jan 26 09:35:13 CET 2015

On Sun, 25 Jan 2015 13:56:36 -0500,
Pierre Fortin <pf at pfortin.com> wrote:

> Huh? Besides taking my comment out of context...  Whether I put a letter
> in the mailbox, or leave it in my pocket to post later, is a user (MUA)
> issue.  I know of no post office (MTA) that holds (queues) mail -- except
> when waiting on authorization to deliver to the destination.

Huh squared :-)  Queuing is really the essence of MTAs, as SMTP is a
store-and-forward protocol.  A MTA holds on to a message as long as it
is unable to send it to the next hop, subject to a reasonable upper
limit.  I'm sure you know this, so there must be a
fundamental misunderstanding.

> The "error while sending" has nothing to do with MTAs because the mail in
> question has yet to leave the MUA (CM) on its way to an MTA.

It is a failure to complete a SMTP transaction with a remote MTA.  What
I'm saying is that a local MTA, by its nature, is better equipped to
deal with such failure, because that is what it does all day.

> As to your fedora 20 thread -- there, you admit to using a local MTA...
> so what?  Physical location does not change the way mail works.  Just
> because you don't see something because of speed, and a very reliable link
> does not make MUAs and MTAs operate differently.

Well, yes and no.  I'd say a local socket connection really is very
different from a remote one, and the difference goes beyond speed.  But
in a way I agree - I would prefer claws to not talk SMTP at all, and
fork a copy of /usr/sbin/sendmail instead.  Unfortunately this runs into
the Windows problem.