[Users] To queue, or not to queue was: Re: Error while sending....

pf at pfortin.com pf at pfortin.com
Sun Jan 25 16:43:04 CET 2015

On Sun, 25 Jan 2015 14:59:27 +0100 Paul Rolland (ポール・ロラン) wrote:

>Hello,
>
>On Sun, 25 Jan 2015 13:05:29 +0100
>Ralf Mardorf <info.mardorf at rocketmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > Anyway, that doesn't help me.... I'm feeling less lonely to know that
>> > at least one other person experienced...

I'm sure most (all?) CM users have run into this issue; especially since
CM has both Send and Send Later...

>> That's not the point. If sending a mail does take much time, I want
>> that the other messages are queued. Indeed it could be borderline,
>> sometimes it's annoying. At what point should a MUA not try to send or
>> resend messages and at what point it might be useful to care about
>> congestions/traffic overload and to queue messages?

Send Later is a deliberate user action; so is Send...  treating Send as
Send Later due to traffic on the link (or link down) is wrong IMO.

>I don't complain about the queueing, but rather about the lack of: I've
>finished sending emails, lemme check if something was queued and send it
>now.
>
>I guess something that would:
>1 - add a flag to a queued mail to indicate it was queued because sending
>    was already in progress,
>2 - at the end of some email sending, process the queue to see if
>    something's queued with this flag, and then send it
>That way, it is still possible to voluntary queue an email for a later
>process, and keep that existing behavior.

I have no problem with using a single queue folder for both compose_send
and compose_send_later; but if send_later status is automatically applied
to Send messages, then I agree that's not right. There is no need for a
send_later_because_link_busy flag.  And... CM does not do that when
sending to multiple recipients where a message puts multiple copies into
the queue -- imagine the first copy of a message causing the other copies
to require a manual Send interaction...

There is an implied "send now" attribute to Send v. Send Later, with a
temporary exception for the network being unavailable; so the only
messages that should not. as quickly as possible, be put on-the-wire are
those with a send_later flag, requiring manual intervention.  This also
implies that any message without send_later status should immediately be
sent when the network becomes available.

>Paul

Pierre