[Users] setup accounts/folders

Pierre Fortin pf at pfortin.com
Sat Jan 10 01:56:36 CET 2015

On Fri, 09 Jan 2015 15:38:59 -0600 waltz at krutt.org wrote:

>I am having trouble to set up accounts and folders:
>
>Accounts are going into the "Home" directory by default (It feels
>forced; abandoning my initial impulse to put them in Docs).  Can I
>put them in a common folder ("Mail" or "Claws Mail" perhaps)?  I
>can't get control of the account/folder      tree for initial setup.
>
>Un-installed and re-installed Claws, but it loads with two accounts
>created previously.  The "Mail" folder in the Nemo file manager (Mint
>17, Cinamon) has sent, inbox, trash, queue, draft (all empty) and two
>recursive mail folders with some emails.  Inside Claws "Mail" lists
>as "Mailbox (MH)".  Ok, so I should rename Mail to Mailbox,
>right?  One of the mail folders is reproduced parallel to "Mailbox
>(MH)" with the mail subfolders and those emails in the inbox:  "my
>folder (MH)".  "(MH)" does not show in Nemo.
>
>One account does not yet have mail or a designated folder(s).  The
>default inbox is:  #mh/my folder/inbox , but I can't get control to
>put it where I would want.
>
>Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Where to start...?  :)

So many ways to setup...

As you've noticed, re-installing does not lose your previous work. So...
if you want to start fresh, delete, move or rename any folders you've
created so far, especially ~/.claws-mail, then...

Now, CM should go through these screens:
- Welcome
- About You
- Receiving Mail
- Sending Mail
- Saving mail on disk -- this is where you need to decide on your setup
- Configuration finished

Some choices:

- everything under ~/Mail -- just keep adding accounts; but they share
  the Inbox, Draft, Sent, Queue, Trash folders.

- If you want multiple accounts, each with their own Inbox, Draft, Sent,
  Queue, Trash folders, change Mail to <account1> on the "Saving mail on
  disk" setup screen.  Then, when CM comes up, use File->Add Mailbox->MH
  to add the other accounts (change "Mail" to the account name).

- In my case, I have quite a few accounts for different purposes, so I
  actually have 2 instances of CM running at all times under userid1 and
  userid2. Of course, each can use either the shared or separate folder
  structures.

I won't get into issue of POP v. IMAP because I've never been interested
in IMAP...

Hope this helps get you started...

Pierre (just a CM user for about 14 years :)