[Users] Cygwin-based CM on Windows

Ralf Mardorf info.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Fri Feb 27 10:19:14 CET 2015

On Fri, 27 Feb 2015 00:32:17 -0800, Reply here wrote:
>I have noticed that the Windows binaries are lagging behind the latest
>Unix versions. Since (unfortunately) I am on Windows, what do you
>advise me to do: settling for the (older) Windows binaries or running
>Claws Mail through Cygwin?
>
>If your advice is using Cygwin, could you provide some instructions
>about setting up CM via Cygwin?

"Cygwin is not:

    a way to run native Linux apps on Windows. You must rebuild your
    application from source if you want it to run on Windows." -
    https://www.cygwin.com/

You need to install Linux in a VM to run Linux apps on Windows.
Virtualbox is easy to use:
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Then you need to install Linux, e.g.
https://wiki.archlinux.de/title/Download
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/installation_guide
After that you need to read the Arch Wikis to install a Window Manager
etc. and then you can build latest version of Claws from git, provided
by the AUR:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/claws-mail-git/

Ignore the version mentioned, eych time you build this package, it
automagically builds current master from git.

"Whereas many GNU/Linux distributions attempt to be more user-friendly,
Arch Linux has always been, and shall always remain user-centric." -
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/The_Arch_Way#User-centric

You also could install a so called user-friendly distro, that comes with
releases, but then you likely will run into issues to get current
versions of Claws.

Regards,
Ralf