[Users] GPG decryption issue in Fedora 22

George Avrunin avrunin at math.umass.edu
Mon Aug 31 19:42:51 CEST 2015

On Fri, 21 Aug 2015 11:51:06 -0500, Ron Rogers Jr. wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Aug 2015 08:27:13 +0100
> Paul <claws at thewildbeast.co.uk> wrote:
>

> > You didn't really explain what the issue was.
> >
> > Here with F22 decryption works fine.
>
> I can send signed messages that works.
>
> I can check signatures but when I do, the message shown is "Good
> Signature from <?>"
>
> If I click on an encrypted message, there is no pinentry popup
> window and the message at the top of the message pane is: "Couldn't
> decrypt: Decryption failed"
>
> But I can get the message source and decrypt it manually just fine.

I had a similar problem on a fresh install of Fedora 22, but I'm not sure
whether the underlying cause was the same.

In my case, the issue seems to be that the version 2.1 gpg-agent is now
supposed to (just once) convert the secret keys from secring.gpg and put
them in a private-keys-v1.d subdirectory of .gnupg.  But it was only
creating the subdirectory and not putting any secret keys in it.  As a
result, the various gpg2 programs were not finding any secret keys.  I
solved the problem by exporting all the keys on another machine and then
importing them on the F22 machine.  Now claws-mail can sign, encrypt, and
decrypt messages fine, although the kgpg program doesn't seem to see any
of the keys (public or private).

  George