[Users] Changing from Seamonkey mail client

Paul Marwick paul.marwick at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 14:01:58 CEST 2015

I've used Seamonkey for email for a long time. My primary account is a
gmail account, and I've used Seamonkey filters to sort the mail I get
into "folders", simply because I found setting up gmail labels too time
consuming and too inflexible.

Seamonkey is becoming increasingly obsolete. As a result, I decided to
try Claws again. Generally, I'm impressed -t light, fast and has no
problems with security when it comes to self-signed keys (I look after a
number of small business servers which have such keys).

I have hit a few problems. First, I used the filter translating utility
to convert my Seamonkey filters to Claws format. Most of them work, but
a few don't, and my attempts to fix the broken ones have so far failed.
I'm looking for more information on filtering to see if I can track why
some of my filters don't work.

I've also hit an odd behaviour problem which may be intended or may be a
bug, not sure. I'm not very fond of the three pane view, would rather
use two panes and open messages in a separate window. That works, but
I've found navigating from message to message is a bit odd. If I press
space bar to scroll through a message, when it reaches the end of the
message, it goes back to the top, instead of moving to the next unread
message (the behaviour I would expect after years of using Seamonkey or
Mutt). That's not a big problem, I can get used to that. However, I then
need to either use the "n" key to move to the next message or use the
mouse to select the next arrow from the toolbar. What I'm puzzled by is
that these two options work differently, at least when used in a message
window. The toolbar next marks the message as read and moves to the next
message. The "n" key moves the the next message, but does not mark the
message as read. Is this intended behaviour, or is it a bug?

If its intended, how do I change it so that "n" marks the message as
read and moves to the next message? If its a bug, how do I report it?

I've read several articles on setting Claws up for use with gmail, but
haven't used any of them, since when I logged into my gmail account for
the first time from Claws, it detected a folder structure and rebuilt it
(presumably translating the labels that my Seamonkey filters set). I'm
not sure I can go back to use the structure suggested in the articles on
using gmail, but I'm wondering if some of the problems I'm seeing with
Claws may be related to it seeing the remnants of the Seamonkey
filtering rules.

Paul.