[Users] Wtf?! Claws doesn't find my accounts anymore!

Ralf Mardorf info.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Thu Aug 6 10:57:16 CEST 2015

On Thu, 6 Aug 2015 00:05:51 +0200, Ralf Hutter wrote:
>The only file in /home not owned by me is .cache/dconf/user

If you e.g. run a GUI editor of desktop environments using dconf with
user privileges, it could happen that /run/user/1???/dconf/user can't
be accessed by the user anymore, so other apps, e.g. a mailer using
dconf (not Claws, but perhaps Evolution) can't access
/run/user/1???/dconf/user, but it might need to do it. I don't use
GNOME, Mate or Cinnamon, so I don't know if some odd thingy, of those
odd desktop environments could interact with stuff that is important
for apps that have nothing to do with those bizarre desktop
environments. I'm using a few apps that need dconf and from time to time
there's the need to delete /run/user/1???/dconf/user.

You could check permissions by running

ls -l /run/user/1???/dconf/user

Assumed your users have another id than 1xyz, replace the 1??? ;).
For Linux the first user usually gets the id 1000 and IIRC for FreeBSD
it's 1001.

Just in case now and then I use an alias to delete it, without checking
the permissions first.

[weremouse at moonstudio ~]$ grep drecksconf /mnt/archlinux/home/rocketmouse/.bashrc
alias drecksconf='echo " $(id -un)@$(hostname): \"dconf > /dev/nirvana\""; sudo rm /run/user/1???/dconf/user'