[Users] Wtf?! Claws doesn't find my accounts anymore!

Chad Wallace cwallace at lodgingcompany.com
Wed Aug 5 21:53:38 CEST 2015

On Wed, 5 Aug 2015 17:06:09 +0200
Ralf Hutter <rhutter at posteo.de> wrote:

> Ok, Claws is back, at least with one of my two IMAP-accounts. Thanks
> to michael and ralf, because
> sudo chown -R foo:foo /home/foo/.claws-mail/
> did help.
> Before, many permissions in .claws-mail were for root, now they are
> all for my personal account.
> But i don't understand the command
> sudo chown -R foo:foo /home/foo/NameOfTheMH/
> because that doesn't seem to be a path to a mail account. Could a
> command like that help to get back the missing mail account whose data
> is still listed in the subfolders of .claws-mail?

You could use the find command to see if there are other files in your
home directory that you don't own:

find /home/foo -not -user foo

If you don't have find, you may have to install the findutils
package... or whatever the package is called on your flavour of
linux... :-/

Then, run sudo chown -R foo:foo on each of the directories or files it
finds.

Or, this command should fix it all in one step:

find /home/foo -not -user foo -exec sudo chown -R foo:foo {} \;

But you should run the first one first anyway, so you know that's what
the problem is.

--

C. Chad Wallace, B.Sc.
The Lodging Company