[Users] Wtf?! Claws doesn't find my accounts anymore!

Ralf Hutter rhutter at posteo.de
Wed Aug 5 17:06:09 CEST 2015

Am Wed, 5 Aug 2015 12:30:39 +0200
schrieb Ralf Mardorf <info.mardorf at rocketmail.com>:

> Hi Ralf,
>
> I noticed that you sent your reply off-list, but since there's no
> confidential information, I'll send my reply to the mailing list.
> I'm short in time. I'm not all-knowing.
>
> If I have more time, we could write off-list in German too, but I
> can't do it at the moment.
>
> On Wed, 05 Aug 2015 10:54:47 +0200, Ralf Hutter wrote:
> >I've got the files listed. Some of them appear in blue. They belong
> >to my user account.
>
> Most likely blue is for directories. What are the
>
> drwxr-xr-x
> ^ d is for directory
>
> drwxr-xr-x
>  ^^^ rwx are the mode of the owner permission, the other permissions
>      aren't important, the x option is unimportant for the files, but
>      needed for directories r is for read, w is for write and some
>      files need a x to be executable, but it's unneeded for data
>
> -rw-
> ^ - is for file
>
> >Yesterday i did do something with sudo and maybe that causes a
> >problem. But the before already one of my email-accounts had vanished
> >and i don't remember having done something with sudo. Could it have
> >been a problem that the battery power was gone and the computer went
> >out without shutting down?
>
> We need more information. Wasn't a fsck automatically executed at
> startup?
>
> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=fsck+at+startup
> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=linux+stromausfall+fsck
>
> >Anyway, i don't understand what you mean by NameOfTheMH.
>
> "[...]
> Mail received from a POP3 account will be stored in an MH mailbox in
> the folder tree.
> [...]
> When you create an IMAP account an IMAP mailbox is created for it in
> the folder tree.
> [...]" - http://www.claws-mail.org/manual/claws-mail-manual.html
>
> >And what is top-posting?
>
> http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=top-posting
>
> It could help much, if you would take a look into ~/.xsession-errors
> and post output that is related to claws.
>
> You should launch claws in a terminal emulation by executing
>
>   LANG=C claws-mail
>
> and post the output.
>
> Assumed the output is very long, use something similar to
> http://pastebin.com/ and post the link.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

Ok, Claws is back, at least with one of my two IMAP-accounts. Thanks
to michael and ralf, because
sudo chown -R foo:foo /home/foo/.claws-mail/
did help.
Before, many permissions in .claws-mail were for root, now they are all
for my personal account.
But i don't understand the command
sudo chown -R foo:foo /home/foo/NameOfTheMH/
because that doesn't seem to be a path to a mail account. Could a
command like that help to get back the missing mail account whose data
is still listed in the subfolders of .claws-mail?
I am not aware of any automatic fsck.
No entry regarding Claws in .xsession-errors nor .xsession-errors.old.
LANG=C claws-mail starts Claws without any problem.
So, as mentioned, i'm just looking for the still not reappearing
mailbox.
Ralf
-