[Users] Fixing the focus ?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Apr 9 17:41:47 CEST 2015

On Thu, 9 Apr 2015 09:09:44 -0400
Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI <renaud at olgiati-in-paraguay.org> wrote:

> Ever since I moved from Kmail to Claws-Mail something has been
> annoying me in the Claws GUI:
>
> I use a standard config, with the folders list on the left, the
> messages list top right and the message body bottom right.
>
> What I find annoying is that after reading a message, deleting it and
> moving to the next one with +, if the new message is longer than the
> message window I must click in that window before the Cursor-Down or
> Page-Down keys let me scroll the message, otherwise the focus has
> been transferred to the Message List window and that is where the
> keys act.
>
> Would there be a way to keep the focus in the Message Body window
> when I go to the next message ?
> Cheers,
>
> Ron.

Hi Ron,

My Claws 3.10.1 on Debian Wheezy automatically drops to the next
message when I press my "d" key, which I mapped to the "Move to trash"
functionality. All we need to do is figure out what's different about
my setup than yours, and you'll have at least one way of eliminating
all the extra per-email effort.

First, I have my deletion set so it doesn't instantly remove the header
from the message list: It just marks it as deleted. The two deletion
modes are described here (search for the string "Two Deletion Modes"
without the quotes:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/lpm/201202/201202.htm#_Claws-Mail

Second, I've mapped my "d" key as shown in the
following snippet from ~/.claws-mail/menurc:

(gtk_accel_path "<Actions>/Menu/Message/Trash" "d")

For various weird reasons, if you want to use "d", you need to do a
raindance involving changing menurc manually. You can use Ctrl+d
with Claws' menu modification methods, assuming you've set its menu to
be modifiable.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting