[Users] PGP in claws

Johan Vromans jvromans at squirrel.nl
Fri Apr 3 08:27:23 CEST 2015

On Thu, 02 Apr 2015 21:08:06 -0400
Mike Miskulin <mike.miskulin at leadingordersolutions.com> wrote:

> a) A local computer really should not be considered "much more secure"
> than the message transiting the internet as more and more email goes by
> TLS server to server connection.

That is correct. The most common approach these days is

  [ME] <--{--> [ISP] <--> [OTHER ISP] <--}--> [OTHER]

The { } denote the internet. Even though all/most hops between the ISPs are
eliminated, there's still a lot going on that is beyond my (and the OTHERs)
control.

> b) There is a significant additional benefit to keeping messages
> encrypted even on an encrypted hard drive - they are not vulnerable to
> malware.

Yes. That's a trade-off you have to made depending on the situation.

-- Johan