[Users] Highlighting

Pierre Fortin pf at pfortin.com
Thu Apr 2 15:28:00 CEST 2015

On Thu, 2 Apr 2015 13:34:20 +0100 R Kimber wrote:

>On Wed, 1 Apr 2015 13:13:53 -0400
>Steve Litt wrote:
>

>> I know how to filter such messages to a separate folder, and I think
>> how to add a new header to search on. I know how to use a filter to add
>> a string to the subject, but that's rude because then the remainder of
>> the thread has junk like "[bulk]" in the subject. I know how to use
>> Claws extended search to find all email, containing that string in the
>> body, send in the last 10 days (all emails would take forever)
>>
>> But I don't know how to have such emails automatically highlighted.
>
>OK thanks,  Where can I find the syntax rules for defining filter
>rules?  I can't see it in the manual, but I may have overlooked it.

Have you tried going to Configuration->Filtering... ?  It's quite
easy...  there's a Help button at the bottom; but it only opens a browser
for me -- probably my browser settings...

Filter rules have 4 components:
* Name: something that makes sense to you -- I keep most of mine
  alphabetically, unless the order is important; usually adding a number
  at the end of the name helps.  Useful when you have LOTS of filters
  since CM doesn't have a search to find [a] specific filter[s].
* Account:  Leaving this set to "All" is usually fine
The following each have a "Define" button at the right -- click them :)
Note that they have Add, Replace, Remove buttons which implies you can
add multiple Conditions ('all'=AND; 'at least one'=OR), and multiple
Actions -- order can be important: Move should be last if used...
* Condition: Match criteria defaults to "All messages"; click it and you
  will find many categories. I recommend selecting each one; you should
  be able to figure out what each does and the lights will come on...
* Action: defaults to "Move" -- click on each possible Action and you
  should become enlightened... :)

You can test your filtering rules using messages you don't care about,
such as in the Trash...  select a test message and Tools->Filter selected
messages.  Having Configuration->Preferences->Other->Logging->Enable
logging of filtering/processing rules checked; then open Tools->Filtering
Log to see how the rules are processed...

>- Richard

HTH,
Pierre

PS  You are running an older CM: