[Users] word wrapping

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Oct 28 15:03:53 CET 2014

On Tue, 28 Oct 2014 10:37:01 +0100
wwp <subscript at free.fr> wrote:

> I'm afraid Claws Mail's text editor isn't meant to be a rich text
> editor (that's why we allow using an external editor, if one
> dares) :-), but a simple text editor with wrapping and quotes
> folding. Wrapping is not bug-free or flaw-free, and I doubt
> developers will implement rich text features like spacing pondering,
> even non-breakable spacing (which will require to allow seeing
> control characters, and we're back to the simple vs rich text editing
> thing).

I would hope not. If I wanted pretty, I'd use HTML email like spammers.

The purpose of email, at least for me, is to convey information
quickly, not to look pretty. Readable, not pretty. Clear, not pretty.

Over the last 20 years, enough conventions like emoticons and
*emphasis* have developed that typography isn't necessary to convey
your point. To me, if you really need a specific appearance, attach a
PDF. Claws is already a sizeable group of source files that I
personally find hard to understand: I don't think it needs to grow
further to accommodate pretty. There are other ways to do pretty.

Just because one learned to use two spaces after a period in high
school typing class doesn't mean one can't start using one. It's really
not that big an adjustment, and the two space crew is a tiny minority.

SteveT