[Users] word wrapping

Ricardo Mones ricardo at mones.org
Tue Oct 28 13:45:44 CET 2014

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 07:17:57PM +1100, blind Pete wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 15:04:54 +1100
> blind Pete <peter_s_d at fastmail.com.au> wrote:
> [snip]

[…]
> UTF has dozens of white space characters.  The ones that I am
> interested in are the "en" (the width of the letter 'N', used to
> separate words), the "em" (twice as wide as an en, and used to separate
> sentences), and the non breaking space (the word processor's night
> mare).  Aside: How do you enter a NBSP into CM?  I just tried

Like any other unicode char in GTK+2, by default:

shift-ctrl-u + <unicode char hex number> + ⏎

Beware with some other input method which overrides or disables
this (check your GTK_IM_MODULE environment variable).

[…]
> If complex algorithms make you nervous, this might be a disturbing
> message.  Sorry.
>
> Now, consider variable width fonts...
[…]

All of this is already solved by TeX/LaTeX, problem is people doesn't
want to wait several seconds/minutes for each mail to be rendered in
typessetting quality, and there's neither a chip maker wanting to create
a TeX/LaTeX ASIC ;-)
--
  Ricardo Mones
  ~