[Users] Keeping claws-mail systemd free?

Ian Zimmerman itz at buug.org
Fri Oct 17 19:30:50 CEST 2014

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 12:15:56 -0400,
Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:

Steve> I'm trying to keep systemd off my machines to the greatest extent
Steve> I can. Is there any plan for Claws-Mail with regard to systemd? I
Steve> see that on Debian Wheezy, Claws-Mail depends on
Steve> libdbus-glib-1-2, which depends on libdbus-1-3, which depends on
Steve> multiarch-support.

Steve> Systemd has co-opted dbus, so I'm concerned. Is there a way to
Steve> make Claws-Mail's reliance on dbus facilities optional, or to
Steve> substitute something else for it, or use a separate and distinct
Steve> executable to tell when mail comes in?

I think this has already been discussed here.

The libdbus dep should be harmless, it won't pull in systemd even after
the transition (this is an educated guess).  I already have installed
packages that depend on libsystemd, and it is equally harmless.
Basically, they'll communicate with systemd if it is there, and do
nothing if not.