[Users] External editor?

blind Pete peter_s_d at fastmail.com.au
Thu Nov 13 08:43:08 CET 2014

On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 11:15:46 +0100
Ricardo Mones <ricardo at mones.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 11:37:48AM +1100, blind Pete wrote:
> > On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 09:56:32 +0100
> > Ricardo Mones <ricardo at mones.org> wrote:
> >
> > > On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 05:24:50PM +1100, blind Pete wrote:
> > > […]

> > > But fact is that external editor is used for more kind of files
> > > than just email messages.
> >
> > That is a strong argument.
> >
> > What else can the external editor be used for?
>
> Right off the top of my head: opening text or any other type of
> generic attachments, editing mail signatures, and editing stylesheets
> in fancy plugin.
>
> Probably more.

OK  My ignorance is showing.

> > Next question, with less hope of a good answer; what knows when
> > about what type of file is to be edited?  Can sensible hints be
> > given, this could get messy and impractical.
>
> I think most (full featured) editors already guess the type of files
> and dont need or even accept hints.

Neither /gvim/ nor /file/ identified this file that I am currently
editing (tmpmsg.0x284a860) as an email message, but then it has all
of the headers stripped from it unlike tmpfile.00000001 which has
the headers intact.

/home/psd/.claws-mail/tmp/tmpfile.00000001: smtp mail, UTF-8 Unicode text
/home/psd/.claws-mail/tmp/tmpmsg.0x284a860: UTF-8 Unicode English text

Refining my previous assertion, it is a safe bet that when CM opens a
file *from the compose window* that it is intended to be an email.

--
testing
bP