[Users] "Put deleted messages in . . . " ignored

Pierre Fortin pf at pfortin.com
Fri Nov 7 14:04:22 CET 2014

On Fri, 7 Nov 2014 11:32:11 +0000 Graham P Davis wrote:

>Instead of dumping all my deleted messages in the same waste-bin, I
>decided to configure my accounts to use their own trash-cans. To
>verify that it worked, I set up a new trash folder and edited an
>account to "put deleted messages in . . ." the new folder.
>Unfortunately, I verified that it didn't work. Deleted messages still
>went in the general trash and my new folder remained disappointingly
>empty.
>
>Is there something I've missed in setting this up or does it just not
>work?

Sounds like you set up ONE MH mailbox and added accounts when what you
want is to add one MH mailbox per account:

   File->Add mailbox->MH... (for each account - what you want)
      (On initial setup, Claws adds the first account [1])
      Add account & change the Account->Receive->Default inbox to
      point to the correct MH mailbox
v.
   one MH mailbox (what you did):
      Configuration->create new account...
   or
      Configuration->Edit accounts...->New

It should look like this:
  Account1 (MH) [1]
    Inbox
    Trash
  Account2 (MH)
    Inbox
    Trash

instead of simply:
  Mail (MH) [1]
    Inbox
    Trash

[1] on initial setup, you had the option to change Mail to Account1
    You can't rename a mailbox; but you can add one per account, naming
    them, then delete "Mail (MH)" (after moving your messages to
    appropriate account mailboxes).

HTH
Pierre