[Users] pop3 / smtp configuration

andré andr55 at laposte.net
Mon May 5 19:38:15 CEST 2014

Colin Leroy a écrit :
> On Sun, 20 Apr 2014 12:33:28 -0400, andré <andr55 at laposte.net> wrote:

(Sorry for my late reply, I didn't look at this right away.)

> Hi,
>
> If you use STARTTLS, you must use the normal port. TLS is then
> negociated after connection :
>
>> 1) yahoo ----
>> POP3 = (uncheck APOP) ; starttls ; port 995
>
> Use port 110

With Mozilla (Seamonkey or Thunderbird), it allows specifying starttls
with port 995.  I don't know if starting with port 110 is required by
Yahoo or is a restriction of Claws.
Yahoo documentation says it requires starttls or ssl, with port 995
Using port 995 with SSL works nicely :)

>> SMTP = check SMTP_AUTH ; automatic ; uncheck POP3 before SMTP ; port
>> 465 (Seamonkey is SSL/TLS, normal password)
>
> Use port 25 :)

Unfortunately many Internet suppliers (like mine) block port 25, even
though it is accepted by Yahoo.
Like gmail, they also accept ports 465 and 587.  They require protocols
SSL or starttls.
So port 465 with SSL works nicely (for all 3 email suppliers) :)

>> 2) laposte.net ----
>> POP3 = (uncheck APOP) ; no SSL ; (check SSL_non-blocking)  =ok
>
> Host pop.laposte.net, port 110 seems to reply.
>
>> SMTP = check SMTP_AUTH ; automatic ; with or without user/password
>> specified ; check or uncheck POP3_before_sending
>
> Use port 25 and STARTTLS.
For reasons above couldn't use port 25, but port 465 with SSL works
nicely :)

>> 3) gmail.com ----
>> POP3 = (uncheck APOP) ; starttls ; port 995
>>       (Seamonkey is SSL/TLS, password normal)
>
> Use port 110 with STARTTLS, or SSL with port 995.

Like Yahoo, port 995 with SSL works nicely :)

> HTH!

Yes indeed.  I was a little disoriented after being so long with Mozilla
and their somewhat different terminology.
Thanks for feedback from you and RW.

BTW, I chose smtp 465 SSL for Yahoo and Gmail (instead of 587 starttls)
since it coincides with the requirements of Laposte.net.
And although all accept port 25, my internet supplier blocks that port.

I have another question :

Is there a way of setting up automatic download via POP ?
I receive a lot of email (mostly from lists like this), and it saves
time if it is already downloaded when I look at my messages.
With Mozilla, I set download intervals by account, so more important
accounts are downloaded more frequently.  Which would be nice if
possible with Claws.

The main reason I'm switching is that the large number of emails lead to
frequent corruption (requiring restarting, not the emails themselves),
probably due to the huge mbox files.  The mH format should eliminate
that problem.

Thanks :)
--
André