[Users] hydra.debian.net

Cia Watson ciamarie at centurylink.net
Sat Jun 28 15:23:49 CEST 2014

On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 18:15:02 -0400
<edwardp at linuxmail.org> wrote:

> Thank you Ricardo.
>
> Well, I guess the off-topic question I should ask is why Debian does
> not update application packages like Claws.
>
> If Ubuntu is Debian-based, then you'd think the PPA would also work
> with Debian...  :(

Hi Edward,

I'm not Ricardo and don't presume to speak for him. However, I am a Debian
user, and I can let you know that Debian does update application packages,
including Claws. There are basically three "branches" of Debian, and the
"stable" branch, which is currently Debian 7, aka Wheezy, depends on the
backports repository to get more up-to-date packages. Packages don't get into
backports until they've gone into the testing repo, which happens after
they've been in the Unstable (or "Sid") repo for a period of time.

Otherwise, the stable version will continue with it's older version of Claws,
and will mostly just receive security updates to packages. If that wasn't
terribly clear, have a look here: https://www.debian.org/releases/

And, the Ubuntu PPAs aren't suggested to be used with Debian, because Ubuntu
does customize their configuration, while using Debian as a base of sorts.

Cheers,

Cia W.