[Users] Claws Mail, Gmail and PGP

matthew phelan matthew.d.phelan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 18:02:08 CEST 2014

Hi, folks!

I am sorry to be a bother, but I have a (hopefully) small issue with my
Claws Mail in TAILS and the gnuPG plugins.

Currently, I have Claws set up with a Gmail account and encryption keys
generated. Most of these things appear to be working smoothly. However,
when I use Claws to "send myself" and encrypted email (i.e. From:
myself at gmail.com To: myself at gmail.com), I get the following error message.

"Some errors occurred while sending queued messages: Couldn't determine
sending informations. Maybe the email hasn't been generated by Claws Mail."

In addition to the error message, something else bizarre happens: my Claws
Mail shows two, quasi-duplicate "sent messages," an encrypted version and
an unencrypted version of the same message I wanted encrypted.

Worse still, when I log in to this Gmail account via a browser, I see the
same thing: two nearly identical emails in the sent folder, one encrypted
and one unencrypted.

Another strange feature of this issue is that Claws Mail does not show
these emails in the Inbox folder: It appears in the Important Mail folder
and the Sent mail folder, and that's it.

It's worth noting that I did follow this tutorial to the letter:
http://www.claws-mail.org/faq/index.php?title=Using_Claws_with_Gmail

Obviously the whole point of me wanting to use Tails, Claws Mail and gnuPG
is "end-to-end" encryption --- which obviously will not be the case if
unencrypted copies of these emails are just sitting on a Google server
somewhere.

Is there something I have neglected to do while setting up my gmail account
with Claws that has created this issue? Is anyone familiar with it?

Best Regards,
Matthew