[Users] outlook.com SSL handshake failed

Tim Zakharov himemsys36 at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 21 14:40:38 CEST 2014

On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 08:30:27 -0400
Jerry <jerry at seibercom.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 07:00:56 -0500, Tim Zakharov stated:
>
> > Well, that was bizarre.  I just changed my hotmail servers as you
> > suggested and it downloaded over 50 duplicate emails (I'm guessing
> > everything in the inbox on the server).
> >
> > To be clear, I have an outlook.com account and hotmail.com
> > account.  I left the outlook.com account with the outlook.com
> > servers, but changed the hotmail account (the one I use for this
> > mailing list) to live.com. I'd like to see if I still get any SSL
> > Handshake errors on the outlook.com account.
>
> Check this URL out:
>
> http://www.outlook-apps.com/outlook-com-pop-settings/

Yep, saw that one.  It seems that most of the articles written in
2014 talk about pop-mail.outlook.com, while 2013 and earlier talk
about pop3.live.com.  Depending on the site, you might get
recommended one or the other, but both work.  Not sure if the SSL
Handshake Error is specific to the outlook.com servers, but I thought
the devs here should be made aware of it in case it's something that
can be adjusted on their end.

This is a page that talks about outlook.com and mentions the "old"
live.com servers:
http://askleo.com/what_are_outlookcom_imap_pop3_and_smtp_settings/

Particularly, at the very bottom it says "Hotmail and Outlook.com are
the same thing these days. Settings that used to work for Hotmail,
based on Microsoft’s old Live.com servers, should continue to work.
This article outlines the current settings documented by Microsoft."

--
Regards,

Tim Zakharov