[Users] outlook.com SSL handshake failed

Tim Zakharov himemsys36 at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 21 13:49:42 CEST 2014

On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 06:22:16 -0400
Jerry <jerry at seibercom.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Jun 2014 18:58:06 -0500, Tim Zakharov stated:
>
> > Occasionally (maybe once a day?) I see that while checking for email
> > that Hotmail/Outlook.com (both use pop-mail.outlook.com) fail with:
> >
> > *** SSL handshake failed
> >
> > in the network logs.
> >
> > Is this related to the recent Hotmail issue that led to my mailing
> > list settings to disable?
>
> Are you sure your settings are correct? I use the following:
>
> POP3 --
> "pop3.live.com" via port 995 with "Use SSL for POP3 Connection"
>
> SMTP --
> "smtp.live.com" via port 25 with "Use STARTTLS" to start SSL session"
>
> I am not experiencing any problems that I know of and I have two
> accounts that I check.

Hmmm, thanks.  When setting my accounts up, I went with the most
current Microsoft documentation and did not even know
pop3.live.com and smtp.live.com existed.  I've been using
pop-mail.outlook.com and smtp-mail.outlook.com.  I know they work, I
just get the SSL Handshake error every once in awhile.  I'll give the
live.com servers a shot. Here's the link to the docs I found:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/outlook/send-receive-from-app

--
Regards,

Tim Zakharov