[Users] configuring IMAP over SSH tunnel

Andreas Fink finkandreas at web.de
Thu Jun 5 15:21:43 CEST 2014

On Thu, 5 Jun 2014 10:41:50 +0200
Davide Mancusi <arekfu at yahoo.it> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My IMAP server cannot be reached from the Internet, but I can ssh into
> a front-end machine and reach it from there. Claws Mail claims to
> support IMAP over SSH tunnel, and I noticed that the account
> configuration window has a "Use command to communicate with server"
> option. However, I could not find any documentation about how I should
> set up the connection. Can anyone please give me some guidance? What
> command should I use?
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Cheers,
> Davide

According to this website in german http://www.wgmd.de/wordpress/?cat=6
you have to use as command:
ssh -q PUBLIC_SERVER nc IMAP_SERVER 143
Maybe you also need to replace the 143 with another port if you're
using SSL.
However the answer to your question should be to use the unix tool 'nc'
which forwards the incoming requests and sends back the responses...

Cheers
Andreas