[Users] configuring IMAP over SSH tunnel

Davide Mancusi arekfu at yahoo.it
Thu Jun 5 13:02:05 CEST 2014

OK, so now I'm stumped. I have written a script that invokes ssh like this:
  ssh -fN -L34599:imap_server:993 tunnel_host
where imap_server and tunnel_host are of course the full hostnames. I
have also set up claws to use localhost:34599 for IMAP. Now, if I run
the script in a shell and then check mail in claws, it works fine. If
I put the path to my script in the "Use command to communicate with
server" field, the connection fails and the network log shows
  * Account 'xxxxxx': Connecting to IMAP4 server: localhost:34599...
  ** IMAP error on localhost: stream error
  *** Can't connect to IMAP4 server: localhost:34599

So I guess the question comes back to what the "Use command to
communicate with server" field is doing behind the scenes.

Davide