[Users] Running Claws with mail folders on external hard drive

Abhay S. Kushwaha kushwaha at netsolutionsindia.com
Wed Jul 16 20:18:40 CEST 2014

On Wed, 16 Jul 2014 13:46:53 -0400, Lawrence wrote:

> > > How do I run Claws with mail folders on an external hard drive?
> >
> > Close Claws Mail. Move ~/Mail to your external storage device, and
> > create a symlink in ~/ to it. Start Claws Mail back.
>
> Thanks very much wwp; I will do it this way. I am running Windows
> 8.1 (plan on downgrading to Win 7)
> and have found several excellent tutorials on creating symlinks in
> Win via command line or Explorer after installing add-ons.

On Windows, it's easier.

Assign a drive letter to the external drive. Windows will remember. I
use N: to make sure additional devices do not take up a drive letter
I was using for the external drive.

Then move Mail folder from your profile to external drive & edit
folderlist.xml to point the Mailbox to it on the external drive. The
sub-folders use relative paths so that one change is all you need to
do. For eg: <folder type="mh" path="N:\\Mail" name="Mail">

That's it.