[Users] Missing spell checker [Claws Mail, enchant, aspell, CentOS 6.5]

Charles A Edwards CAE at eslrahc.com
Thu Jul 10 00:16:46 CEST 2014

On Wed, 9 Jul 2014 17:04:22 -0400 (EDT)
1 at victoriasjourney.com wrote:

> > Do you have enchant-devel installed?
> > If not claws will not build with "spell check" enabled.
>
> No, I do not.
>
> > Another possibility, I am not that familiar with CentOS, but have
> > they, as have many other distros, switched to hunspell instead of
> > aspell?
>
> hunspell was previously installed, prior to all of this:
>

> vstuart:$ whereis hunspell
> hunspell: /usr/bin/hunspell /usr/share/man/man4/hunspell.4.gz /usr/share/man/man1/hunspell.1.gz
>

> but Claws did not complile using that, either, so I am missing
> something critical, somewhere (files and/or method).
>

> If I extract the enchant-devel rpm (in the enchant folder), it just
> adds a usr folder.  Q: If I go that approach, do I recompile enchant,
> then recompile Claws?  Will the Claws recompile screw up my already
> working (configured/tweaked) Claws Mail installation?  Are there any
> paths / switches thjat I need to include during those compiles (or
> add to the environment path, after).
>

> Sorry for the questions: I am a long time (i.e. sudo access) Ubuntu
> user at home; CentOS / non-root installations are both rather new to
> me.

It's not doing non-root installation, you have to su to root to install
packages.

CentOS uses yum as for their package management.
Basic to install a package
su -c yum install enchant-devel
you will be asked for root's password and then the package will be
installed.

You can also install|update using rpm directly giving the full path to
the rpm
su to root and

rpm -ivh
http://mirrors.securehost.com/centos/7.0.1406/os/x86_64/Packages/enchant-devel-1.6.0-8.el7.x86_64.rpm

or if you have already dled the rpm
su to root and
rpm -ivh /home/<user>/<dir>/enchant-devel*.rpm

You might also want to look at the yum "Managing Software with yum"
http://www.centos.org/docs/4/html/yum/

    Charles

--
What's love but a second-hand emotion?