[Users] Why ask for the password twice?

Bruce Bowler bbowler at bigelow.org
Mon Jan 6 20:29:27 CET 2014

On Mon, 06 Jan 2014 23:52:37 +0530, Abhay S. Kushwaha wrote:

> Hi Bruce.
>
> Claws-Mail, by design, does not try to be overly intelligent. In this
> case it's a good thing.
>
> The reason you've been asked to put in your password is because
> Claws-Mail was asked for it by Google. However, it wasn't expecting to
> be asked so.
>
> That is because when you set up the account, you did not specify that
> there would be authentication involved and it's supposed to use the
> username/password used to retrieve mail.

But I did specify authentication (or at least I think I did)

In the 'send' page of 'Edit account preferences', I have SMTP
Authentication checked and I left User ID and Password blank which,
according to the fine print, means use the same User ID and password as
for receiving.  It would appear as if claws is using the same User ID, but
not the same password...