[Users] Tips on how to narrow down a sending problem [SOLVED]

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Feb 27 22:46:44 CET 2014

On Thu, 27 Feb 2014 19:49:39 +0100
"Paul Rolland (ポール・ロラン)" <rol at witbe.net> wrote:

> Hello Steve,
>
> On Thu, 27 Feb 2014 12:32:56 -0500
> Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:
>
> > After setting up Claws-Mail on my new Debian Wheezy laptop
> > installation, everything worked except sending. From everything I
> > can see, I have the same smtp server (smtp.gmail.com), port number
> > (465), login (littdom at gmail.com) and password (im not telling) on
> > the notebook as I do on this daily driver I'm typing this on right
> > now, but on the notebook, I always got an error (basically, bad
> > username or password).
>
> Just checked my GMAIL config and I was able to send a message to
> another email account...

Thanks Paul!

Thanks also to Brian, Colin, Brad, and everyone else for their input.

The root cause turned out to be...     Defective user!

This is embarrassing, but in the email address field on the Basic
account config tab, I put "Steve Litt at Troubleshooters.Com
<littdom at gmail.com>" instead of just "littdom at gmail.com". Even more
embarrassingly, I didn't clearly read the log output, or I would have
instantly seen that it wasn't an auth problem, but a syntax error
caused by a nonsensical email address.

Once I fixed the email address on the Basic tab, sending worked
perfectly.

The help all of you gave me enabled me to solve this, because you got
me back in the "let's narrow it down to the root cause" mentality,
rather than my former "WTF is going on!" mentality, enabling me to see
the obvious.

So thanks to all of you for your help. I hope the laugh you get out of
this is a just reward for your efforts in helping me solve it.

SteveT