[Users] Need help, moving from kmail-1.13.5 to claws-mail

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Feb 24 23:55:39 CET 2014

On Monday 24 February 2014 17:33:38 Andrej Kacian did opine:

> On Mon, 24 Feb 2014 10:43:25 -0500
>
> Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> > How do I change claws-mail's default mail holding directory away from
> > $HOME/Mail, so that there is not any interactions with kmail's used of
> > the $HOME/Mail tree?  That way, I can setup a duplicate folder tree,
> > and "import" whatever I can just to see how it might work.
> >
> > This would be for the local to this drive copy only, but come time to
> > swap drives for good, then I could just fire up mc and copy it to the
> > normal $HOME/Mail on the other drive.
> >
> > I have looked at my ~/.claws-mail/accountrc, but I don't see a
> > directive there that looks like it might actually be the right one to
> > edit.  There are several candidate lines, but not one that actually
> > says ~/Mail now.
>
> The correct settings for that are in folderlist.xml, but a better (and
> safer) way is to simply add a new MH mailbox called for example
> "MyMail", which will create $HOME/MyMail.

Did that, new MyMail created and slightly populated.

But, how do I now make that into the claws-mail default directory tree?  I
did edit the top description to change it to MyMail, but it still is seeing
all the kmail maildirs and mailfiles but cannot read them.

And surprise, I had forgotten I had tried to set up Dovecot as an imap4
server, pointed at the wdtv folder in kmail, and claws-mail does see that,
including about 2200 sent messages it will read.  But again, nothing in any
other category except sent.  I looked in the MyMail folder, and it looks
like a pretty pure claws-mail structure, including the names at least of a
few of the kmail folders.
gene at coyote:~/MyMail$ ls -laR
.:
total 44
drwx------  11 gene gene 4096 2014-02-24 17:27 .
drwxr-xr-x 113 gene gene 4096 2014-02-24 17:39 ..
drwx------   2 gene gene 4096 2014-02-24 17:18 alsa-user
drwx------   2 gene gene 4096 2014-02-24 17:27 clamav
drwx------   2 gene gene 4096 2014-02-24 17:15 draft
drwx------   2 gene gene 4096 2014-02-24 17:29 ham
drwx------   5 gene gene 4096 2014-02-24 17:23 inbox
-rw-r--r--   1 gene gene    0 2014-02-24 17:11 .mh_sequences
drwx------   2 gene gene 4096 2014-02-24 17:15 queue
drwx------   2 gene gene 4096 2014-02-24 17:15 sent
drwx------   2 gene gene 4096 2014-02-24 17:27 spam
drwx------   2 gene gene 4096 2014-02-24 17:15 trash

./alsa-user:
total 16
drwx------  2 gene gene 4096 2014-02-24 17:18 .
drwx------ 11 gene gene 4096 2014-02-24 17:27 ..
-rw-------  1 gene gene   13 2014-02-24 17:18 .claws_cache
-rw-------  1 gene gene    4 2014-02-24 17:18 .claws_mark
-rw-r--r--  1 gene gene    0 2014-02-24 17:18 .mh_sequences

./clamav:
total 16
drwx------  2 gene gene 4096 2014-02-24 17:27 .
drwx------ 11 gene gene 4096 2014-02-24 17:27 ..
-rw-------  1 gene gene   13 2014-02-24 17:27 .claws_cache
-rw-------  1 gene gene    4 2014-02-24 17:27 .claws_mark
-rw-r--r--  1 gene gene    0 2014-02-24 17:27 .mh_sequences

[... 2 more pages]

Looking in the folders.xml, I see the structure of all the folders within
this ~/MyMail, way more than has been created so far by the above listing
shows.  But then I note that there is not an overall wrapper describing
MyMail itself, its describing everything within ~/MyMail.  Broken install?
Or do I nuke all this and recompile from the tarball?

> And if you already have some MH-formatted mailbox prepared, just move it
> to $HOME/MyMail first, then add a "MyMail" mailbox in claws-mail - it
> will not overwrite contents, but will read and load the content into
> claws-mail.

Did not have an MH formatted setup, and TBT, don't know what defines an
"MH" setup. I Know about mailfiles, and about maildirs, but not about this
MH at all.  Can it be explained easily, or is there a link to a treatise on
it?

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

NOTICE: Will pay 100 USD for an HP-4815A defective but
complete probe assembly.