[Users] Need help, moving from kmail-1.13.5 to claws-mail

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Feb 24 21:50:09 CET 2014

On Monday 24 February 2014 15:27:06 Steve Litt did opine:

> On Mon, 24 Feb 2014 09:49:23 -0500
>
> Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:

> > >   If you have X servers on your local net machines you can simply
> > >
> > > ssh -X your server and run Claws Mail there but viewing it locally.
> > >
> > >   regards,
> >
> > Ok, but if I leave this copy running 24/7 like I do kmail, can this
> > machine actually run another non-interacting copy when I ssh -Y
> > coyote from say, lathe.coyote.den and run the 2nd copy beside the one
> > that is already running?  Previously I have not had a lot of luck
> > trying to do that.  My background script that uses inotifywait for
> > that, will cause reboot to fix system problems if the dbus cache
> > pipeline fills up with unreplied msgs.
>
> Leave dbus alone. Don't use it in your script, and Claws won't use it
> either. Kmail makes dbus go 99% of CPU, often so often that I had to
> use a cron job to look for and kill dbus instances remaining above 94%
> for more than 5 seconds.

I agree, its probably a solution looking for a problem, but I can count on
one or 2 fingers the number of times the grab a core and hang on has
happened in about 6 or 7 years of use.

> I'm a huge fan of encapsulation, and dbus, even though not made by the
> Klowns Destroying Everything (KDE), is a huge encapsulation violation.
> If I absolutely need two processes to talk to each other, I can usually
> find ways of doing that myself, especially if I'm the guy who coded one
> or both of them.

Yeah, I'd be much more in favor of a "unix socket" (domain.name:37295) for
example, to feed, but I've no experience in coding such a beast.  But I
think you can check for the presence of the socket before you send the
command to it, preventing the trash build up.  Well written bash scripts
can do that pretty easy and I've managed to hit a lick or two with those.
I must have, when everything is up and running here, a good dozen bash
scripts that think they are background daemons.  ~/bin/mailwatcher, which
uses inotifywait, is just one of them.  ATM one java jar is not running, a
feedback loop over heated and blew the bit banging serial port in my Color
Computer 3 in the basement, so that and 2 or 3 other bash helpers aren't
running.  My nightly amanda run for backups is managed by a bash script
that fills the recovery data gap of one day, so I can recover to exactly
what I had at 2AM this morning if something should be fat fingered.  To
new, bare metal if need be.