[Users] Need help, moving from kmail-1.13.5 to claws-mail

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon Feb 24 17:01:54 CET 2014

On Mon, 24 Feb 2014 15:30:00 +0100
Ricardo Mones <ricardo at mones.org> wrote:

>   If you have X servers on your local net machines you can simply ssh
> -X your server and run Claws Mail there but viewing it locally.

I do that when on the road. I ssh on port 993 thru a pinhole in my
firewall redirecting to my daily driver desktop, to access my desktop's
Dovecot. Be *very* aware that when you do that, it's *slow*, which
greatly compounds Claws' "can only do one thing at a time" annoyance.

The way to minimize the annoyance is, before clicking "Get Mail", click
the folder with the most mail, so that just that folder is downloaded.
Then, when that folder is downloaded, click on a message to make sure
you can see it. Only then should you click "Get Mail". What will happen
is, concurrently with the whole tree download, you'll be able to view
email in the one folder you're currently in. Hopefully, by the time
you've read all your new mail in that one folder, the download is done.
Be very aware that although you can look at email in that folder, you
can't respond: Sending is disabled while the download progresses.

One more thing. If you're leaving on a trip, *be sure* to do the
complete "Get Mail" locally, so that on the road very few additional
downloads are required to get your laptop synced.

SteveT