[Users] Need help, moving from kmail-1.13.5 to claws-mail

Ricardo Mones ricardo at mones.org
Mon Feb 24 16:13:05 CET 2014

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 09:49:23AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 24 February 2014 09:34:03 Ricardo Mones did opine:
>
> > On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 08:44:51AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > On Monday 24 February 2014 08:42:10 Paul did opine:

> > > This is what I am doing in kmail now.  But in the long run, I'd like
> > > to put dovecot in the chain so I can access it, using claws in imap
> > > mode, from any machine on my local net.
> >
> >   If you have X servers on your local net machines you can simply ssh -X
> > your server and run Claws Mail there but viewing it locally.
> >
> >   regards,
>
> Ok, but if I leave this copy running 24/7 like I do kmail, can this machine
> actually run another non-interacting copy when I ssh -Y coyote from say,
> lathe.coyote.den and run the 2nd copy beside the one that is already
> running?  Previously I have not had a lot of luck trying to do that.  My
> background script that uses inotifywait for that, will cause reboot to fix
> system problems if the dbus cache pipeline fills up with unreplied msgs.  I
> can of course re-write that to check for the kmail PID before sending the
> message, so that isn't insurmountable.  What I am doing there ATM is if
> kmail's PID can't be found, my background script starts a new copy of
> kmail, which ATM is how it gets started on a reboot.

  Using a graphic MUA to emulate fetchmail/getmail isn't a good idea,
but you can also launch “claws-mail --receive-all & sleep 60 && claws-mail
 --exit” via crontab to incorporate all mail periodically insted of
running it all the time (you may need to increase the 60 seconds if your
incorporation process takes more than one minute). Trying to launch it
remotely while it's running may fail, but it's only matter of waiting
for a minute at worst.
--
  Ricardo Mones
  ~