[Users] Need help, moving from kmail-1.13.5 to claws-mail

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Feb 24 15:49:23 CET 2014

On Monday 24 February 2014 09:34:03 Ricardo Mones did opine:

> On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 08:44:51AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Monday 24 February 2014 08:42:10 Paul did opine:

> > > Create a 'Local' account in Claws and that will pick up mail
> > > from /var/spool/mail/$user
> > >
> > > with regards
> > >
> > > Paul
> >
> > This is what I am doing in kmail now.  But in the long run, I'd like
> > to put dovecot in the chain so I can access it, using claws in imap
> > mode, from any machine on my local net.
>
>   If you have X servers on your local net machines you can simply ssh -X
> your server and run Claws Mail there but viewing it locally.
>
>   regards,

Ok, but if I leave this copy running 24/7 like I do kmail, can this machine
actually run another non-interacting copy when I ssh -Y coyote from say,
lathe.coyote.den and run the 2nd copy beside the one that is already
running?  Previously I have not had a lot of luck trying to do that.  My
background script that uses inotifywait for that, will cause reboot to fix
system problems if the dbus cache pipeline fills up with unreplied msgs.  I
can of course re-write that to check for the kmail PID before sending the
message, so that isn't insurmountable.  What I am doing there ATM is if
kmail's PID can't be found, my background script starts a new copy of
kmail, which ATM is how it gets started on a reboot.

But its certainly a thought to consider.  All it would take is for me to
remember to shut it down here when I go out to the shop to carve steel or
wood, sometimes both.  Gotta go get some coffee under construction & think
about it.  Way too many pages to the menu... :)

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

NOTICE: Will pay 100 USD for an HP-4815A defective but
complete probe assembly.