[Users] How to specify external editor

Geraint Hywel G.S.J.Hywel at swansea.ac.uk
Tue Feb 18 13:05:03 CET 2014

Hi All.

I'm running Claws 3.9.3 on a Fedora 19/Gnome 3 box.

I'd like to try using gvim as an external editor.

I have installed the package "vim-X11", and it runs just fine.

In Claws, when I edit a message using the external editor (using the
Ctrl+Shft+X keyboard shortcut), it opens in gedit.

I can't see anywhere where I can specify which editor is the default.

I have set vim to be the default editor by:
 * right clicking on a .txt file;
 * choosing "Properties";
 * clicking the "Open With" tab;
 * selecting "Vi iMproved";
 * clicking "Set as default";
 * clicking "Close"

Now, when I double click on any .txt file, it opens in gvim, not gedit
as previously.

However, even after restarting Claws, Ctrl+Shft+X still opens gedit.

I just tried logging out and back in to Gnome, and it still opens in
gedit.

Is it possible to specify which external editor should be used?

Regards

--
Geraint Hywel
http://about.me/geraint.hywel