[Users] Updating Claws Mail

Ralf Mardorf info.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Sat Dec 6 19:51:17 CET 2014

On Sat, 06 Dec 2014 17:11:15 +0000, GM wrote:
> So, could you please keep Synaptic up to date?

Synaptic is a GUI for apt and rpm. The package management apt does use
repositories provided by the distro you're using and/or third party
repositories. Upstream seldom provides packages or repositories for
distros. You should ask your distro for upgrades, but since Mint is a
release model based distro, you unlikely will have success with such a
request. A PPA or a backports repository might provide what you want.
Btw. it's not that smart to chose a freakish distro based on Ubuntu or
Debian that has got no huge community. Usually Mint users annoy *buntu
and Debian mailing lists. I strongly recommend to drop Mint and to
switch to a *buntu or Debian, if you like the *buntu/Debian
policy.

> 3.11.1,tar.bzz, should I first remove the older version?

Yes, before a "make install" purge the installed Claws.

> ./configure
> make
> su
> make install

JFTR there are several easy ways to build an Ubuntu/Debian package. The
easiest way for a newbie perhaps is to use checkinstall, available by
the repos used by Synaptic. IOW instead of "make install" type
"checkinstall" and follow the instructions. Checkinstall doesn't work
always, but it does work most of the times. Then install the build
package using "dpkg -i".

> % claws-mail
>
> Do I need to run sudo apt-get build-dep claws-mail

This should be the first command, but it does only work, if the
dependencies needed by the tarball's version of Claws didn't change the
dependencies, compared to the version provided by your distro. I would
manually select and install the needed dev packages. The Dependencies
are likely mentioned by a README or INFO or INSTALL or similar file
inside of the tarball or at the website from where you downloaded it.

Assumed ./configure didn't fail, then you already have got all
dependencies installed.

JFTR, assumed you compiled and installed libraries, then you
need to run "ldconfig" as root.

Regards,
Ralf

--
"Nine sold him a holographic minicam, which films in every direction at
once and stores the video on a remote 15-inch floppy disk" -