[Users] OT: BUG with update marking all email as "read"

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Dec 4 16:09:22 CET 2014

On Dec 04, 2014, at 02:37 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

>On Thu, 4 Dec 2014 07:44:42 -0500, Jeremy Schneider wrote:
>> really?  mailman sends a duplicate message if a list member is in the
>> to or cc field?
>
>There's a mailman option to disable duplicated mails, but IIRC that
>could cause issues too. Mailman just sends one message, the duplicated
>message is the Cc'ed one, directly send by the sender. Not all mailing
>lists share the same CoC, that's why I sent my "Mailing list reply with
>and without Cc" request to this list [1].

If I reply to your list post and it includes the CC header, the only thing
Mailman can do is suppress the list copy.  It can't suppress the direct copy
(sent to  you via the CC) because it never sees it.  An MUA like Claws could
conceivably suppress the direct copy but that's difficult because it can't
actually know that you'll receive the list copy.

Yes, you can opt into suppression of the list copy but the problem with that
is that you won't get the List-* headers, so the copy you get won't look like
a mailing list post, and thus many of the nice features in Claws for dealing
with mailing list posts won't work.

That's the trade-off, and why it's left as a user-selectable option.
Personally, I usually leave the list copy option turned on, but I disable
delivery, and I read the claws list (and frankly, most of the public
discussion lists I'm on) via Gmane.  Best of all worlds. :)

Cheers,
-Barry