[Users] What do menu items under View|Character encoding do, precisely?

Ian Zimmerman itz at buug.org
Wed Aug 27 05:23:33 CEST 2014

I have gotten myself into a nascent flame war [1], so I better have my
facts straight.

What happens when I select View|Character encoding|Unicode and I then
read a message with Content-Type: text/plain;charset=iso-8859-1 ?  Is
UTF-8 just a default/fallback, or does it override the information from
the header?  If it is just a fallback, what does Automatic do?  If it
does override, is there any way to configure a fallback?

[1]
http://narkive.com/EqYk4A5E