[Users] mail archiver - best practices

Gour gour at atmarama.net
Tue Aug 26 12:11:04 CEST 2014

On Mon, 25 Aug 2014 19:36:47 +0200
Michael Rasmussen <mir at miras.org> wrote:

> tar tz |egrep 'posix_regex'
>
> The above will generate a list of file names and provided you have
> used option rename you should be able to find what you are looking
> for.

Ahh, forgot about it.

Now I see it's nice job for Ag.

However, I do not need the list, but the content, so arrived at:

tar -O -xzf tarball.tar.gz | ag 'pattern'

However I notice that if I use Craotian chars (č,ć,đ,š,ž) in the
pattern, they can't be found.

The reason is that if I'm searching for e.g. 'fax', in the
result I get filenames with the name as 'fax_uređaj', but in the
content the same is encoded as 'fax_ure=C4=91aj', so I wonder why the
content of the email messages does not show/render proper characters,
while the same are rendered/shown properly for the filenames contained
within the tarball.tar.gz?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Whenever and wherever there is a decline in religious practice,
O descendant of Bharata, and a predominant rise of irreligion —