[Users] How to compile claws on Debian Wheezy?

Ian Zimmerman itz at buug.org
Tue Aug 26 09:42:29 CEST 2014

On Tue, 26 Aug 2014 08:02:41 +0100,
Paul <claws at thewildbeast.co.uk> wrote:

Ian> Also, my selection of plugins is absolutely minimal at configure
Ian> time, so I don't compile fancy, for example. (I had to do that to
Ian> get rid of compiler warnings, which I want to treat as errors same
Ian> way as I do for any other program).

Paul> But warnings are not errors, there's a distinct and clear
Paul> difference between them.

_Some_ warnings are clearly sign of sloppy and possibly dangerous code.
For instance, assigning an address of a signed quantity to a
pointer-to-signed variable or vice versa, which is very common and I
think occurs in some of the plugins.  Also, ignoring return values from
syscalls.

The problem is C semantics is so loose that there are too many possibly
dangerous warnings like that, I cannot keep track of all of them (I bet
you cannot either).  So, the only way to be sure code is clean is to
apply the sledgehammer: -Wall -Werror.