[Users] Claws-Mail breaks my X

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Aug 6 16:06:57 CEST 2014

Hi all,

I'm hoping one of you has seen this problem before and can shed some
light on it, and perhaps suggest a solution or a workaround (maybe
shutting off popup help). I'll give hardware and software specifics
later in this email.

The symptom is this: I can run X all day and all night and it runs
fine, but the second I hover the mouse pointer over a message in Claws'
message list, from then until I leave and restart X, every time I hover
over anything with a popup message, my mouse cursor disappears. Not
only that, if I use the scroll wheel to move down a web page in
Iceweasel or xxxterm (or probably any other GUI browser), the mouse
cursor disappears and doesn't come back until I move the mouse instead
of the mouse wheel. Interestingly, merely hovering over a Claws-Mail
menu icon with popup help does not trigger this: It isn't triggered
until I hover over a message in the message list.

In summary, hovering over a message in the message list causes my mouse
pointer to disappear when hovered over elements with popups, or when
scrolled with the mouse wheel, for the rest of that X session.

I know that my 3.8.1 is old, and if this is a known problem with 3.8.1
I'll be glad to do whatever's needed to upgrade, even if I have
to ./configure;make;make install. But I'm not going to upgrade it on
principle or speculation, because fighting your package manager is
difficult, and I'd like to try everything else before strongarming a
later version than what Debian Wheezy's package manager bestows.

My hardware and software information follows. I forgot to say it, but I
have 16GB of RAM...

================================
slitt at mydesq2:~$ claws-mail -v
Claws Mail version 3.8.1
slitt at mydesq2:~$ cat /etc/issue
Debian GNU/Linux 7 \n \l

slitt at mydesq2:~$ sudo lshw | grep -A10 'CPU'
          product: AMD A6-6400K APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
          vendor: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]
          physical id: 34
          bus info: cpu at 0
          version: AMD A6-6400K APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
          slot: FM2+
          size: 1800MHz
          capacity: 3900MHz
          width: 64 bits
          clock: 100MHz
slitt at mydesq2:~$ sudo lshw | grep -A12 'display'
        *-display UNCLAIMED
             product: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI
             vendor: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI
             physical id: 1
             bus info: pci at 0000:00:01.0
             version: 00
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master
cap_list configuration: latency=0
             resources: memory:e0000000-efffffff ioport:f000(size=256)
memory:feb00000-feb3ffff *-storage
slitt at mydesq2:~$

Thanks,

SteveT