[Users] claws performance, >100.000 emails

Erich Dollansky erichsclawslist at alogt.com
Sun Apr 27 01:09:25 CEST 2014

Hi,

On Sat, 26 Apr 2014 19:34:40 +0200
"christian (private)" <chr.graf at gmx.de> wrote:

> I am new to claws and my first impression about claws is very
> positive. So I am tempted to move from thunderbird to claws.

I did this a long time ago.

> My main concern is performance honestly. I have roughly 130.000
> emails stored in my thunderbird (pop3), including attachments. The
> thundebird profile is about 16G in size.

It is all a matter of organisation. Claws-Mail becomes slow the more
mails are in one directory/folder. You will feel the difference when
there are more than 10 000 mails in a folder. I did not notice any
problems having the mails organised in many folders. I have more than
600 000 messages currently stored and did not notice any problems.

> So I am wondering if claws can handle such large emails nicely? TB
> slowed down heavily last months, so I am looking for an alternative.

I do not wonder.

> As an example, just sliding through the offline folders (not clicking
> into any of them) results in multiple-seconds of screen-freeze.

This sounds extremely bad. Are you sure that it was caused by
Thunderbird?

> Claws/TB will run on a ubuntu-desktop, with 8GB ram and SSD as

I use FreeBSD only and cannot tell if Ubuntu will make a difference.

> storage. The number of emails to handle will most likely grow further.
> related to this would be the question how fast the search-engine will
> be. The reason for storing the emails is to search them. So its
> crucial that claws is somewhat fast in searching such large
> structures.

Searching was never a problem for me. Of course, it is limited in speed
with such an amount of data by the hardware in use.

Erich