[Users] Marking messages as read

Neil senex at drofle.co.uk
Sat Apr 12 19:50:49 CEST 2014

On Sat, 12 Apr 2014 11:26:00 -0500
»Q« <boxcars at gmx.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Apr 2014 09:00:53 +0100
> Neil <senex at drofle.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > However, if I have several new messages in a
> > particular folder I click on the first one to read it and then I use
> > the keyboard shortcut Shift-N to move on to the next unread one
> > until I am told there are no more unread ones in that folder.
> >
> > And here is the query, if I go through the unread messages using
> > this keyboard shortcut the messages, after the first one, do not
> > get marked as read and the number of unread messages is not
> > reduced. I am guessing that this is because I am still using the
> > same window while working my way through them.
> >
> > Is there any way round this please?
>
> I think you need to click the radio button at

> read (x) when selected

No,I have tried that and it is not what I want. I don't want a message
to be marked as read until I open it up in a new window and read it. I
don't want that to happen when I have it simply highlighted in the
listing of the messages.

At the moment, when I open an inbox folder the first unread message is
selected. If I click on it to open it and read it then it is
automatically marked as read and the total of unread messages is
decreased by one. However if I then move on to the next unread message
by using shift-N then the next unread message is indeed opened but it
is not marked as read.

If instead I Esc back to the list of messages and then click on the
next unread message (which I recognise because it is in bold type)
then that works.

I am looking for some way for the Shift-N shortcut to move on to the
next unread message and to also mark that message as read. Perhaps that
is not available.

Thanks

Neil