[Users] minimize to tray?

J.D. Ackle jdalinux at yahoo.com.br
Sat Sep 28 18:56:19 CEST 2013

On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 16:20:56 +0100
Paul <claws at thewildbeast.co.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 11:01:39 -0400
> Bruce Bowler <bruce.bowler at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > What would it take to get a 'minimize to tray' option added
> > (teaching my hand to not be afraid isn't an option)
>
> That's the 'hide when iconified' option.
>
> with regards
>
> Paul

As a matter of trivia, and from an application's point of view, the "minimize window" and "iconify window" are the exact same action. "Minimised windows" are what e.g. Ms Windows calls them and they are usually placed on a "taskbar" as a text button (possibly with icon too) you can click to "restore" the window to be displayed on-screen. "Iconified windows" are usually hidden from the desktop and put to either a taskbar but, I think, more often to the desktop, as an application launcher-icon (I think the first time I saw this was years ago on WindowMaker, a very nice looking Desktop Environment actually).
It's not the application that chooses whether it will be minimised or rather iconified, that's the window manager's job to decide and handle. Thus, whether any given application mentions itself being minimised or iconified, the result will be the same.
Just thought this little bit of info might be relevant to better understanding this.